From: John (EBo) David (ebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-29 23:18:31

Paul Baxter wrote:

> > I read over at the register
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16447.html ) about possible changes
> > in privacy and copyright related to the new yahoo policies with the article
> > citing code posted becoming copyright yahoo, I think.
> >
> > Is this a problem for Boost or not an issue?
>
> I've briefly looked at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/. I did a find on "copyright"
> and couldn't find anything that said they own the copyright to anything I might
> have posted to the boost mailing list. Then again, I'm no lawyer.

Section 8 of the terms and conditions
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> reads:

... [snip] ...

8. CONTENT SUBMITTED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR
INCLUSION ON THE SERVICE

Yahoo does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available
for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to
Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly
accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo the following
world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

* With respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on
publicly accessible areas of Yahoo! Clubs and Yahoo! Groups, the license
to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and
publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purposes of
providing and promoting the specific Yahoo! Club or Yahoo! Group to
which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists
only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the
Service and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo removes such
Content from the Service.

* With respect to photos, graphics, audio or video you submit ... [snip]

"Publicly accessible" areas of the Service are those areas of the Yahoo
network of properties that are intended by Yahoo to be available to the
general public. By way of example, publicly accessible areas of the
Service would include Yahoo! Message Boards and portions of Yahoo! Clubs
and Yahoo! Groups that are open to both members and visitors. However,
publicly areas of the Service would not include portions of Yahoo!
Clubs and Yahoo! Groups that are limited to members, Yahoo services
intended for private communication such as Yahoo! Mail or Yahoo!
Messenger, or areas off of the Yahoo network of properties such as
portions of World Wide Web sites that are accessible through Yahoo!
Webring but are not hosted or served by Yahoo.

Hopes this helps...

  EBo --