From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-09 14:08:53

My random number library, available in boost since a few months,
needs some maintenance.

I would like to split the header <boost/random.hpp> (now 45 KB) into
several named <boost/random/XXX.hpp>. Each <boost/random/XXX.hpp>
header shall contain one generator or one distribution only, and should
be mostly independent of other generators/distributions. The
<boost/random.hpp> header will consist of a list of #include's for all
<boost/random/XXX.hpp> headers to stay backward-compatible and allow
for easy initial usage.

This change has the following advantages:
 - Allow reduced compile time for users needing only one generator
and a few distributions.
 - Allow for easier contribution of new generators/distributions
by third parties.
 - Make dependencies between generators/distributions more explicit.

Also, the random number library should be adapted to the changing
environment boost provides, in particular:
 - boost/static_assert.hpp to check compile-time assertions in the
generators (these are currently runtime-assert()).
 - the upcoming Boost Test Library for the regression tests

Since all these issues concern mostly implementation details, I think
a formal review is not needed. If no serious concerns show up within
a week, I'll go forward and implement these items starting
16 Feb 2001.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Jens Maurer