From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-14 14:19:01

Phlip wrote:
> But I fear Boost, being so tight with the STL backing it, must be "tuned" by
> a booster to match the idiosyncrasies of each STL it can use.

Fear no longer.

> Dinkumware,
> yes. g++, yes. If Boost has never seen Objectspace before...

So what? We're not programming for a certain standard library implementation,
but for an interface specification (namely, the ISO C++ standard, which also
describes the standard library).

If boost crashes with Object Space's standard library implementation,
then either boost relies on undefined or implementation-defined behaviour
or simply has a bug (and thus should be fixed), or Object Space does not
implement the interface specification completely or correctly, as set forth
by the ISO C++ standard (and thus Object Space should be fixed).

That was the ideal world, a few side remarks:
 - Sometimes implementations are slow adjusting to ISO C++, so boost is
prepared to work around some deficiencies.
 - Sometimes a certain bug shows up only in a certain compiler/library/system
combination.
 - Sometimes the ISO standard itself still has bugs.

Jens Maurer