From: Lois Goldthwaite (loisg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-15 10:31:56

The point of having a Standard library is that implementations are
supposed to be interchangeable. And, all things considered, this appears
to be a workable concept, not only in theory but also (frequently) in
practice.* As a partial proof of concept, I will mention in passing that
the other Objectspace libraries permit substitution of a different STL
-- simply define OS_USE_ALTERNATE_STD and recompile.

Having said that, however, I must be the first to admit that
Objectspace's STL is still playing catch-up to the Standard (and is not
alone in this). In particular, it is behind in supporting namespace std.
Solid namespace support from compilers is a relatively recent
development, and the installed base for this product goes back to 1995.
We don't always have the luxury of writing purist code and waiting for
compilers to catch up to coping with it.

Y'all are going to shame me into building boost with ospace STL, just to
prove it can be done. Yet another item on my to-do list....

Lois

*As we all know, in theory, theory and practice are the same. However,
in practice, they can be vastly different.