From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-02-16 10:33:47

--- In boost_at_y..., williamkempf_at_h... wrote:
> --- In boost_at_y..., "Mark Rodgers" <mark.rodgers_at_c...> wrote:
> > From: <williamkempf_at_h...>
Library...

(For those who received my previous response, I'm sorry, I
accidentally responded to the wrong post.)

> The Boost Thread Library was the first to be called the BTL,
> regardless of the chronology of acceptance ;).
>
> Seriously, though, someone else coined the acronym, not myself.
I'm
> not married to any name or acronym at this point, though there will
> be a lot of documentation to change if we go by a different
> name/acronym at this point, and it's just going to get worse.
So...
> if anyone has a different name, or thinks that we should stick with
> Boost Thread Library but not use the acronym BTL, speak up now so I
> can proactively avoid work in the future :).

Someone just pointed out to me in e-mail that the acronym BTL is also
currently used by the Bioinformatics Template Library
(http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~classlib/bioinf/BTL99.html). So it seems
that at least the acronym needs to be dropped (though I expect people
will try to re-apply it frequently if the name remains "Boost Thread
Library"... the three words lend themselves to easily to usage as a
TLA). So, I'll still entertain recommendations for another name, but
I'll immediately remove BTL from the draft documentation I have.

Bill Kempf