From: Lois Goldthwaite (loisg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-19 08:32:39

> IMHO, it's nice for the end-user to have some sort of installation system be
> it RPM,MSI, or whatever else. It saves people the trouble of having to
> worry about how to build the libraries, where to put the files and how to
> uninstall it if they decide to (heaven forbid anyone would uninstall boost!
> :-)
> I think we would have the majority of users covered by having an
> InstallShield or MSI package for Windows and a source RPM for Linux.

Could we get by with a self-extracting zip and a make file? GNU make is
available for Win32, if we don't want to mess with NMAKE's
individualities. I'm always suspicious of fancy installation programs,
because I can't tell what modifications they are making to the system
registry and important files. It seems that every program I install
clobbers something else. And as these things go, we'd probably have to
maintain different installation programs for each flavor of Win32.

Lois