From: Ed Brey (brey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-20 13:54:55

From: "Dan Nuffer" <dnuffer_at_[hidden]>
> > While we are on the subject... Shouldn't all of boost go into
> > libboost.a/.so?
>
> While that would be more convenient than having each library separate,
> it would also increase the memory footprint of programs that use a part
> of the boost library.
> e.g. If I write a program that uses regex++, I don't want to have to
> also load all of boost_python into memory.

Do you know if or when Linux or other OSs using RPMs will be able to demand
page a runtime-linked library? That is, within the reasonable near future
(or now), can the OS be smart enough to just allocate enough memory portion
of the library that is actually being used? My understanding is that NT
does this, but I don't know about other OSs. Once targets OSs can do this,
bundling multiple libraries linearly into a single .so file doesn't cause a
significant speed penalty, and conversely, if a program uses multiple boost
libraries, it saves the time and space overhead of working with multiple
library files.