From: Dean Calver (deano_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-24 04:40:22

Hello Michael,
    Being a professional games programmer, the issue of accessing bitmap
(pixmap if you prefer) data is a common one. The complexity tends to rise
when we use bitmaps as textures in a 3D enviroment.

Some issues that would need to addressed for it to be really useful,

1) >2D
There are 3D textures and even 4D textures (in theory at least). The
iterator would need to expand to >2D.
2) Non RGB
There are lots of formats that don't nessecarily have RGB equivilents (Z
Depth, Pure Alpha, UV, Normal). It would be unwise to try and convert these
from/to RGB formats
3) Non Linear addressing.
This would be the real power of the iterator, lots of textures/framebuffers
are not stored in a 'normal' memory layout.
1256
3478 is a common memory layout for pixel data
Also compression can involve blocks etc
4) Compression
The bitmaps compression methods in use today are varied
(DCT,S3TC,Palettes,VQ), in the general case it is possible to read every
pixel (perhaps decompressing data on the fly) but not exact writes (lossy
compression could mean recalculating blocks). We can ignore it and rely on
decompression, edit, compress cycle but we routinely edit compressed
textures (VQ, Palettes, S3TC) directly

I would suggest that the iterator only works only native data, generalising
the concept of accessing a non-linearly addressed multi-dimisional array.
Then build data conversion concepts on top of this.

Bye,
    Deano

Dean Calver