From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-25 13:30:44

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Jens Maurer wrote:
Jens.M> - The above sounds like we need a feature model diagram.

Well, I already did the feature model diagram for mutex (though perhaps it
needs to be revised). What we need is an implementation of it.
Anotherwords, we need to use generative programming techniques to create
all the variations of mutex that we need.

For example, the mutex class is currently not as efficient as possible
because it has to support a timed lock in addition to the usual lock (see
current discussion between Rich Lee and Bill). But who says we have to
group these two kinds of locking into the same class! We need to
orthogonalize the implementation and slap a generative interface on the
whole thing!

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906