From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-27 09:38:02

on 3/26/01 6:16 PM, David Abrahams at abrahams_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I think you may be able to fix this by making the following changes in
> RegEdit:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<extension>: Content Type = text/plain
>
> where <extension> is .hpp, .h, .cpp, etc...
>
> **** BUT I THINK MANY PEOPLE WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ****
> Therefore, I propose that a script be added to the boost release process
> which redirects all links to source files so that they point at HTML-ized
> versions. I would be happy to produce a Python script, if it can be
> integrated with the release process. I think Beman is away at ACCU, so we
> may not hear back on this for a while.

I feel that this is the absolutely worst way to solve this. If the web site
is returning "application/octet" for our text header files, we have to tell
the server operators to correct their extension-to-MIME type mapping. This
way will help everyone at once without extra tools.

You would have to print out the documentation even if it was supplied as
text. Boost doc pages don't tend to use huge and/or flashy features, so
print-rendering shouldn't be as difficult as an usual web page. Some of our
pages could be very long and/or use big tables, so that could be a problem.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie