From: John (EBo) David (ebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-27 18:54:34

Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> "John (EBo) David" wrote:
> >
> > I was discussing the possibility of boostifying a project with someone
> > today and the issue came up with how to best deal with the utility
> > programs, etc.
>
> What exactly do you regard as "utility" programs? Some (small)
> tools using your library (for example, a grep implemented on top
> of regex)? Or tools used to build/install the library?

The original intent was the former. In specific I am doing a bunch of
image processing and have a number of, what for lack of a better word,
utility programs to convert between image formats, manipulation, etc.
Many of these would be appropriately placed in the "example" directory
since they are examples of how the library is used. But then there are
some programs that are used for fundamental data manipulation. One of
the formats I am using is HDF5. Because this allows me to attach user
defined data I have been seriously considering attaching process history
tags to the data. Therefor, a simple utility program to display and
edit the comment and history fields of these dataset would be a useful
utility. So, is this just an example, or is it a supported utility.
Another example would be something to display the connections of a
connected graph from BGL. Again, I would consider this more a useful
utility as opposed to an example of how BGL's are created, manipulated,
etc.

  Hope this is more clear.

  EBo --