From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-27 19:05:01

On 27 Mar 2001, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Gabrie> |
Gabrie> | A[indirect(begin_row_index, end_row_index)]
Gabrie> | [indirect(being_col_index, end_col_index)]
Gabrie>
Gabrie> Without expression-templates I suspect that will bring in performance
Gabrie> lost. Please, let us not trade syntax for functionalities/semantics.

Ok... I haven't looked into this issue. What are the various alternatives?

Gabrie> What is really wrong with operator()?

By operator(), do you mean indexing into an array using the notation
A(i,j,k)? If so, it's a bit unsavory because there will be some
hard coded limit to the number of dimensions you can support, and
it would be nice to avoid the kind of repetitive code you see
in Blitz++. Also, operator[] is what builtin arrays use.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906