From: E. Karpachov (jk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-06 11:26:15

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 02:11:10PM -0000, Paul Carter wrote:
> i/ What should the end-user interface look like? Obviously, it's
> going to look quite like std::iostream, but there are variations.

Isn't std::streambuf better? Then we could utilize some obscure methods like
std::streambuf::in_avail() etc.

> iii/ How & when do we notify completion to the user

In my opinion, it's completely independent issue. Event polling is not
nesessarily belong to I/O - for example, in Win32 you can poll whole bunch of
very different events, and not all of them are I/O. May be as first iteration
it would be enough to provide some functionality like "ready/not ready"?

> iv/ How do we support an OS with no async facilities

By providing polling class - in Win32 it maps to native call like WaitEvent*,
in unices - poll(2) or select(2). Let me to repeat, I think it is different
functionality, not about I/O.

> Unless someone pops up with any objections

It was my $0.02.

--
jk