From: Toon Knapen (toon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-10 04:52:24

> DocBook was created just for this (http://www.oasis-
> open.org/docbook/). It's a standard DTD for both SGM and XML
> designed for complete text mark up for publication of printed
> documentation. It's original intent was for documentation on
> computer hardware and software, making it ideal for use by Boost, but
> it's by no means limited to this. There are numerous utilities
> available to translate DocBook files to HTML or other computer
> formats (roff, man pages, texinfo, DSSSL, XSL, LaTeX, etc.).

Could you elaborate on the differences between DocBook an LaTeX.
I recently started using LaTeX intensively and find it real
easy (after 2 hours with good documentation) and powerfull.
I suppose DocBook has many similar features that let
you concentrate on the content while providing functionality that
lets you automatic link references etc.

I used to write HTMl directly but e.g. managing references to a
bibliography is a pain or nested lists, etc.. HTML has little
'meta'-functionality. So I guess this is much better with
DocBook.

Next, is there much of the markup lost when translating
to LaTex ?