From: lums_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-03-14 09:03:38

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:
> Is the idea of building in the ability to dispatch to BLAS based on
any real
> measurements, or just the assumption that BLAS will be faster than
anything
> we can reasonably do in C++?
> Jeremy's paper on MTL seems to indicate that involving BLAS is
unneccessary.
> Overgeneralizing is one sure way to kill a software project.

I think there is one reason one might want to dispatch to the BLAS --
to escape to a performance layer while we await other compilers to
catch up with KCC (this was suggested elsewhere in another post by
another individual -- neither of which I can recall or locate right
now).

In other words, this would only be temporary.