From: Dave Steffen (steffend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-14 13:10:33

David Abrahams writes:
> Is the idea of building in the ability to dispatch to BLAS based on
> any real measurements, or just the assumption that BLAS will be
> faster than anything we can reasonably do in C++?

 Given that it's probably really hard to write a C++ library that's
 both portable and fast, I figured that dispatching to BLAS would give
 us an out --- if our fancy C++ stuff isn't fast enough (or just isn't
 done yet ;-) users can fall back on a local BLAS library that's
 already been tuned for their machine.

 Personally I'd love to dump BLAS; but having the ability to use it if
 necessary would probably make my thesis advisor (an unrepentant
 Fortran programmer) happier. ;-)

Dave Steffen Wave after wave will flow with the tide
Dept. of Physics And bury the world as it does
Colorado State University Tide after tide will flow and recede
steffend_at_[hidden] Leaving life to go on as it was...
                                                        - Peart / RUSH
"The reason that our people suffer in this way....
is that our ancestors failed to rule wisely". -General Choi, Hong Hi