From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-03-15 16:20:42

--- In boost_at_y..., Jon Kalb <jonk_at_y...> wrote:
> At 7:34 PM +0000 3/15/01, kevin_vanhorn_at_n... wrote:
>
> >So instead of writing a shell script, you write
> >a C (or highly-portable C++) program that does the same thing using
> >the "system" function from the standard library to call the user's
> >compiler on the previously-mentioned code snippets.
>
> Can you explain to me how you will use system() to "call the user's
> compiler" in a platform independent way? I would imagine that this
is
> challenging given that the implementation of system() on my
> environment is:
>
> int system(const char*)
> {
> return(NULL);
> }

The Files section has preliminary work on a Build system by Mr.
Dawes. This is more like the direction in which a solution should
go. The ideas could be extended to a "configure" system as well.
Developing this stuff and then implementing it in the distribution is
going to take quite some time, though. It'd be great if someone
volunteered to work on these ;).

Bill Kempf