From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-15 16:35:21

At 04:20 PM 3/15/2001, williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

>The Files section has preliminary work on a Build system by Mr.
>Dawes. This is more like the direction in which a solution should
>go. The ideas could be extended to a "configure" system as well.
>Developing this stuff and then implementing it in the distribution is
>going to take quite some time, though. It'd be great if someone
>volunteered to work on these ;).

I've done some more work on it since then. But I'm coming up on a busy
time and can't give it much time for awhile.

I also took a detour to look at http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html I put
four days into Jam, but unfortunately at the end of that time still was not
able to build a single library successfully (except for toy cases targeting
the same directory as the source files.) Sigh. What a disappointment.

--Beman