From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-03-15 17:36:31

--- In boost_at_y..., williamkempf_at_h... wrote:
> --- In boost_at_y..., <boost_at_y...> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,

> > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the boost
> > group.
> >
> > File : /threads/threads.zip
> > Uploaded by : williamkempf_at_h...
> > Description : Boost.Threads draft library submission
> >
> > You can access this file at the URL

> > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit

I've uploaded a newer version of this file. It addresses most of the
problems found by others up to this point. I'd appreciate someone
testing this with Comeau (and other compilers) to see if I've fixed
the syntax problems. VC++ is too forgiving on many of these things,
making it difficult on me here.

I've narrowed the deadlock down to the pthread implementation of
boost::recursive_mutex. It's caused by a race condition present
because of the multiple mutexes used here. I've yet to figure out
precisely what causes the race condition in order to fix it,
however. I'd appreciate pthread experts looking at this not only to
fix the deadlock but better yet to provide a more optimal solution.
If there's such an expert that wants to take this on I'm more than
willing to answer questions and provide any other assistance they may
need. The pthread implementation is the last hurdle that needs to be
overcome before we figure out where to go next with this library.

Thanks,
Bill Kempf