From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-17 22:43:47

What I like best about it is the two-phase process of dependency building
and action evaluation. It seems to make the whole build process a lot more
manageable, because it gives you fine-grained control over the dependency
graph. Also, having different rule types means that you can write
sensible-looking things in your Jamfile which hide the complexities of how
to build specific target-types:

python-module comprehensive.pyd : comprehensive.cpp
boost-shared-library regex : ....files...

Jeremy, if you would like to work on this with me I would really appreciate
the collaboration (Beman has been struggling, and besides has quite enough
to do). I think setting up the regression tests so they can be incrementally
re-run is an appropriate challenge that would teach us enough about Jam so
that we could
a. Know whether it is appropriate for boost
b. Set up all boost builds

-Dave