From: Toon Knapen (toon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-18 03:33:52

Jeremy Siek wrote:

> Wow, jam does look pretty cool. I love how it has the equivalent of
> "makedepend" built right in.

My only concern/question here is if we would stil be able
to take a 'Component Based Development' approach.

The dependencies of one component/library upon others needs to be
decided at design-time. (e.g. in my projects the makefile of the
module decides of which other modules files can be included)

Adding the real '#include's is done at implementation time.
But include's are quickly added to just make it compile instead
of trying to understand the consequences of this extra include.
Thus including a file of a module/lib which was not intended
to be included at design time should not be compile-able.
However, tools like makedepend tend to make it even
more easier to make this kind of mistake ?

(but on the other hand even Ratrional's SCM has
no support for a CBD approach)

toon