From: John (EBo) David (ebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-18 15:44:13

Couple of questions and comments...

The last time I contributed to the discussion of using a python tool to
use for configuration I had obviously not spoken clearly and one of the
comments I got back actually succeeded in insulting me -- which
generally takes a bit. So, I am going to ask a couple of questions
about Jam and it's use, and clear up a point or two.

I do multi-platform development, integration, and testing. And for the
gentleman who hollered at me for my apparent UNIX bias because I
mentioned autoconfig: the biggest problem I have with using a
configuration package that requires python/perl/etc. is *not* that my
primary development platform is UNIX, but that it will be difficult if
not impossible to get python/perl/etc. working on the *non* UNIX legacy
systems. Also, it is not a realistic option to "upgrade" some of the
older OS's and hardware -- like the custom telescope controller which is
15 or more years old now... My comment was intended to get people
thinking about setting something up a configuration environment that
could either use the native scripting language to figure out the
configuration, or tools that truly run standalone and are reasonably
small. I have no problem with using python or any other development
tools on machines that can support them, generate configuration scripts,
and then move it to the installation machine, build and install. The
reason I mentioned autoconfig in a previous post is that that it is only
required on development environments and produces shell scripts for the
configurations. It has always bummed me out that it does not also
produce batch scripts for other platforms like DOS. So, if people are
developing a new config tool can it generate platform specific batch
files or do I have to install an entire new development system. If so,
to paraphrase the aforementioned poster with softer language, I will
oppose it's use.

  EBo --