From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-03-19 17:45:19

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:

> [...]
requirement on
> > > mutex type.
> >
> > I'm probably being dense, but I don't see how. Could you please
> > illustrate with some code?
>
> For the same reason that we have iterator_traits. You can't arrange
for
> built-in pointers to have type members (e.g.
char*::iterator_category).
> Traits are non-intrusive (see
> http://www.boost.org/more/generic_programming.html#traits)

Ahh... I was being dense. I can't think of a type that will result
in the same issue here, but just because I can't doesn't mean it
won't occur. I'll look into this as soon as the implementations are
up to snuff. After all, this change will be non-intrusive to the
interface. Thanks for the ideas and the push to understanding why
they'd be beneficial.

Bill Kempf