From: Joel Young (jdy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-20 09:34:15

Would we want to look at implementing these algorithms interms of
lazy matrices and promises?

http://www.lh.com/~oleg/ftp/c++-digest/more_promises.txt

Joel
--------
From: lums_at_[hidden]
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:38:50 -0000
  To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subj: [boost] Re: matrix library ?

--- In boost_at_y..., Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_l...> wrote:
> BTW, this kind of process led to the development of the
> original BLAS... they are the basic operations needed in the direct
dense
> matrix solvers provided by LAPACK.
>
> I'd challenge those interested in boost numerics libraries to come
forward
> with concrete lists of problems and algorithms for a particular
domain.
> With those in hand we'll be able to determine scope and priority for
> various peices, and it will provide a firmer ground for discussing
> interface and implementation issues.
>
> Personally, I'll contribute to the list of algorithms for the
> traditionally linear algebra domain.

Let me take a broad stab at a couple of different levels. At the
highest level, the canonical set of problem classes for numerical
linear algebra consist of:

o) Solving linear systems of equations
o) Solving least-squares problems (e.g., over and under determined
systems)
o) SVD
o) Eigensystems