From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-03-21 14:49:46

While attempting to finalize the pthread implementation of
Boost.Threads I ran into a small issue. The pthread-win32
implementation uses the non-standard (i.e. language standard)
timespec data type for the timed wait routines as per POSIX
standards, but it does not provide any mechanisms to use this type.
So, I had to add some platform specific code to allow Windows
programmers to use a pthread implementation (not that I'd recommend
that they do this, but it's the only way for me to develop pthread
implementations at this moment). This got me to thinking about the
lack of a portable way to do this sort of thing and was wondering if
there'd be interest in such routines for Boost.

I've found a web site (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/c-time/) with a
proposal for ISO C 200x that may be a good starting point for such
routines.

Opinions/comments?

Bill Kempf