From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-02 15:09:11

At 05:25 PM 3/26/2001, kevin_vanhorn_at_[hidden] wrote:

>There appears to be a problem with the web server hosting the Boost
>site. When I read documentation online and click on links to header
>files, the HTTP reply gives a type of "application/octet" instead of
>"text/plain", with the result that my browser won't display the file
>even though it is plain text. This is extremely annoying.

I've reported this already to the hosting service without any luck. The
problem only shows on certain browsers. I can reproduce it on Netscape
3.03, for example, but not more modern Netscape or Microsoft browers under
Windows. That makes it hard to get the support folks' interest.

>BTW, has anyone found a good way of printing out the Boost library
>documentation? It seems that nowadays everybody supplies
>documentation only in HTML format, which is a problem for people like
>me who don't want to be chained to the computer when they read.
>(Yes, I know that you can laboriously print out a page at a time from
>the browser. This is slow, painful, and the result looks awful.)

Short term, it sometimes helps a bit to print from the browser via a
PDFwriter, and then print the PDF.

Long term, XML looks like a possible answer, and there has been some
discussion of that on this list. Also some private discussion. Matt
Austern has been using the technique to generate the C++ Standards
Committee's Library issues lists, and he is reporting good results.

--Beman