From: Chuck Messenger (cmessenger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-02 17:15:19

From: David Allan Finch <sarum_at_[hidden]>

>tom-list_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> > You should take a look at wxWindows (wxWindows.org).
>
>I have, the objectives of BOOST are != wxWindows.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Yes, wxWindows currently
doesn't make use of templates/STL/etc. However, I think the best
possible outcome would be to evolve wxWindows in this direction.

I believe that the principals of wxWindows see this as inevitable,
in principle (I'm a newbie to wxWindows, and to Boost for that
matter -- this is based on what I've read on their site).

The advantage of evolving wxWindows toward STL is that wxWindows
is a fairly mature system.

Cross-platform GUI's are a very messy branch of programming.
There are a host of platform-specific areas such a framework needs
to address, such as file systems, peristence, networking, etc.
So far, BOOST seems to have only touched on the edges of some
of these -- e.g. threading and directories. wxWindows goes
all the way.

So there's a very natural fit. It ought to be a seamless fit.
But how to make it happen, as a practical matter? From my
perspective, it would sure by nice. Then I'd have at my disposal
a truly powerful "write-once-run-anywhere" system.

Actually, I almost have that now, as things stand. There's nothing
at all preventing me (that I'm aware of, yet) from using wxWindows
with STL/Boost/etc (as I'm just starting to do). It would just be
that much nicer if wxWindows was modernized.

A relatively small optimization, really, in the scheme of things...

About Qt: The problem with that, from my perspective, and as I
understand it, is that it isn't an open system. Open makes all
the difference to me.

    - Chuck