From: John (EBo) David (ebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-03 16:36:47

Gregory Seidman <gseidman_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I would be delighted with Qt if they would abandon backward compatibility
> and compatibility with non-compliant compilers; if they were starting from
> scratch right now they would undoubtedly integrate with the STL and maybe
> even Boost. Since they almost certainly won't, and since even if they do
> the licensing will be incompatible with Boost's goals, I propose starting
> from Qt's design rather than its codebase and wrapping some toolkit(s).

a minor point on legality...

whoever works on this needs to make sure that they are not violating
relevant laws concerning revers engineering, intellectual property and
copyright infringement, etc. Starting from Qt's design may be construed
as such. It would be a shame to end up with some elegant software
system and then have it yanked because of a pending court case -- we are
potentially competing with business interests here.

Also, would it be possible to offer such work in the context of an other
projects like wxWindows? Would they be open to extending or rewriting
their class structures and API's? I have no idea... Just thinking out
loud.

  EBo --