From: jeff_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-04-04 06:59:23

Beman Dawes wrote:
> I've had a fantasy about a mailing list server that did two things beyond
> the usual functions:
>
> * It required each posting to include one or more keywords (from a list
> supplied by the moderators) on the subject line. If a posting wasn't in
> the correct form, it would be politely bounced back to the submitter with a
> list of the valid keywords.

Maybe another way to think about it is that each library or group of libraries
has it's own list. Each list then has it's own unique tag (eg: [Boost.Graph])
which could be added. To receive all of boost you would simply subscribe to all
of the lists.

> * It allowed each list member to specify (via a nice web interface) which
> keywords they wished to receive.
>
> Is there any real list software that can do that? Are there other
> solutions that would solve the message overload problem without fracturing
> Boost too much?

There is an open source tool for managing mailing lists which you can find at:

http://www.list.org/

It provides customizable web based interfaces for management of lists. There
are both administrative and user interfaces. If you went this way, you would
need to find a web hosting company that either provided this facility out of the
box or allowed you to add it in.

Jeff