From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-09 22:46:54

Hi,

Some of us have been working on a new build system for Boost (and
elsewhere!) using Jam (www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html). One goal of the
system is to normalize platforms and tools so that if you add a Jamfile and
test it with one compiler, it is likely to work well with all other
compilers.We will have a first draft of the framework ready for inspection
in the next couple of days. If there is sufficient interest, we will post a
preview immediately.

Boost currently has an ad-hoc collection of makefiles, IDE projects, and
scripts that can be used to build various examples and libraries. If you
have ever contributed a makefile or an IDE project file to boost, I would
appreciate it if you'd give some thought to converting what you've done to
work with the new system. Those of us who have been working on it can't
possibly configure and test everything on every platform, so we'll need some
help to get everything working properly.

Jam is supposed to work under Macintosh MPW, but I haven't touched that
environment in years and I think I no longer have access to it. I really
hope someone will be willing to take it on.

-Dave