From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-20 03:50:46

I'm a bit gob-smacked by this.

Naively, I had assumed that having ample decimal digits was enough
(empirical tests on output show that 2 more than numeric_limits::digits10
is needed to show a least significant binary bit).

Surely we have to assume that the compiler will (or at least should) convert
this back into the same binary representation?

(My experience so far with these 36 or more decimal digits is that it does).

(Leaving aside funny numbers, for example near DBL_MAX, not normalised near
zero....)

> There are no guarantees about how accurate the radix conversion is,
> and it has been proven to be impossible to write a radix
> conversion routine that
> (a) gives the best binary approximation to an arbitrary decimal fraction;

Can you give more details/references please.

> and (b) takes constant space.

What does constant space mean here please?

Thanks

Paul