From: Kevin Lynch (krlynch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-03 10:36:15

> From: "Ed Brey" <brey_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: Math Constants Library formal review results

> So the answer is yes, it is a g++ extension. ANSI C++ only supports
> initializing integers inline. When F is a floating-point type, the code
> needs the g++ extension to work.

Apologies for not contributing directly to the discussion, but I must
ask: why? What was the Committee's reason for only supporting
initializing integers inline? I find this to be a real PITA when
writing code. I do theoretical particle physics, so I'd probably be in
the group VERY interested in this library (as well as the rest of the
boost numerics stuff) as well as other constants, and having to access
these constants with inline functions wouldn't bother me too much
(unlike my colleagues at FNAL, apparently :-). But why isn't there more
similarity between the floating point built in types and the integer
built in types in this regard?

Kevin Lynch				voice:	 (617) 353-6065
Physics Department			Fax: (617) 353-6062
Boston University			office:	 PRB-565
590 Commonwealth Ave.			e-mail:	 krlynch_at_[hidden]
Boston, MA 02215 USA			http://physics.bu.edu/~krlynch