From: Christoph Koegl (yahoo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-08 17:19:15

skaller_at_[hidden] said:
> You can get rid of functions of more than one argument. They don't
> exist in mathematics, and they shouldn't exist in C++ either.

What branch of mathematics in particular did you have in mind? Of course, in compu-
tability theory we learn how to "code away" more than one argument. But nearly all
of applied mathematics, or algebra etc. uses multivariate functions all the time.
So your statement puzzles me (as a mathematician) quite a bit ...

Cheers

PS. In mathematical logic we also learn that functions can be dispensed with. Rela-
    tions suffice (functions are only a special kind of relations, after all). The
    right tool at the right time. That's why humankind invented higher level program-
    ming languages, although assembly language is sufficient in principle to
    program everything. Yes, yes, I will shut up now ...