From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-09 19:14:51

On Wednesday, May 9, 2001, at 08:00 PM, John Max Skaller wrote:

> After reading your description, I'm _totally_ convinced
> that pictures are the right way to go :-)

The std::facets are documented in several excellent texts, and in the
standard itself (much better than I did so here I'm sure). I have a
policy that goes something like:

        If the std::lib has the functionality you need, then use it,
instead of re-inventing it.

Using something in the standard insures that it is well documented, and
more likely to be easily understood, for no other reason than that it is
standard. This may not be fair to competing techniques, but life isn't
always fair. For my money, std::functionality should be preferred over
other functionality, other factors being equal.

This policy is probably even more true for boost which serves in part as
a proving ground for libs to be considered for a future standard. I
can't imagine that the committee would adopt two independent and
competing techniques for doing the same thing without very good reason.

-Howard