From: Gabriel Dos Reis (Gabriel.Dos-Reis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-15 14:45:17

Bill Seymour <bsey_at_[hidden]> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| >
| > I think the ability of choosing rounding mode should not be
| > overlooked. It is an essential part of LIA-1 and later standards.
| >
| and Beman Dawes responded:
| >
| > I'm convinced.
| >
| but I'm not sure that I am. I'm under the impression that LIA-1
| relates more to numeric programming than to accounting.

And accounting is not that different from numeric programming :-)

LAI-1 has this remarkable property that it just settles a framework
for a general purpose numeric programming. That framework can be
specialized or extended for accounting. My point here is that that
specialization should be deny the general case. Using a trait-based
solution, you can certainly just specilize for a type having
rnd_style == nearest or truncate.

But at any rate the ability of choosing a rounding mode should be not
be dismissed because sooner or latter we'll be faced with varying
rounding mode. So from the outset, we should be careful to make an
easily extendable framework.

I'm not advocating for implementing the whole LIA-1 at this point. All
I'm saying is that the choices we're making should be made in such way
to fit easily a general framework.

-- Gaby