From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-18 21:06:33

----- Original Message -----
From: <rwgk_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 9:31 PM
Subject: [boost] BOOST_PYTHON_CONVERSION (Was: Question about interpretation
of ISO C++ standard)

> > It is clear to me that BOOST_PYTHON_CONVERSION must die and all
> calls to
> > generated friend functions must be made unqualified.
>
> That would indeed be much nicer.
>
> > This only requires that
> > compilers without koening lookup do the same thing as GCC and
> generate the
> > friend functions in the global namespace.
> >
> > Does this make sense to everybody else?
>
> VC60 does not support Koenig lookup for the to/from_python
> converters. But apparently it currently generates the friend
> functions in the boost::python namespace. How does this
> relate to your statement above?

for VC6 we'd generate the friend functions in the global namespace so they
can be found without koenig lookup but by the (disallowed) normal lookup
rules.

I think there is a way to generate the functions in boost::python for VC6
and look them up using a dispatching function template, but it hardly seems
worth it since it wouldn't work properly for GCC.

-Dave