From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-19 19:13:28

Bill Seymour wrote:

> I've been thinking about some of the points that Skaller
> and others brought up. How's this?
>
> - I agree that functions such as abs() should be friends,
> not members. I'm concerned, though, that some compilers
> can't handle template friends.

        I suppose it depends on the target audience.
If the class is intended for ISO Standardisation, the faults
of compilers not supporting the Standard should be disregarded:
the committee won't listen to such an argument.

> - I see Skaller's point about the two-argument ctor being
> confusing. At first I thought about suggesting to users
> that they think of the comma as a decimal point; but then
> I caught myself writing an octal constant. 8-) I think
> I've found a use for this ctor, though:
>
> numeric_limits< decimal<Scale> >::epsilon();
>
> returns decimal<Scale>(0, 1). I suggest making this ctor
> one of the "public implementation details" mentioned above.

        This suggests retaining the constructor, but making
it private, since the use seems limited <g>.

> - I still think that users ought to be able to mix decimals
> of different scale factors in expressions.

        I cannot say this is wrong. However, I have USED systems
that did that, mainly PL/1, and figuring out what is happening
is very hard.

        I suggest you implement mixed scale arithmetic
and try to use it to see what I mean.

> I suggest that
> the result type always be the type of the left-hand argument.

        That is not symmetric. People expect symmetric
operators like addition to be symmetric:

        a + b == b + a

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net