From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-22 22:10:54

From: joel de guzman <joel_at_[hidden]>
> From: "Douglas Gregor" :
>
> > Earley parsers aren't LL(k) but can parse any context-free language and
> are
> > worst-case O(n^3).
>
> If I am not mistaken. The original (there are variants) Earley parser
> is bottom up.

Earley (1970) says "... our algorithm is in effect a top-down parser
in which we carry along all possible parses simultaneously in such a
way that we can often combine like subparses. This cuts down on
duplication of effort and also avoids the left-recursion problem."

> I'm more of a craftsman than a theorist. I don't know where the
> spirit parser falls into. The similarities between Spirit and the
> one Greg Colvin mentioned is purely coincidental.

Fair enough, but beware that there is an enormous literature and
lots of existing practice, and thus a high danger of either
reinventing the wheel or rolling blithely into well-known
bottomless pits ;->