From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-28 16:29:40

Vesa Karvonen wrote:

[configuration management]

BTW: You should write up your experiment as a paper
for a journal. A lot of people use monolithic configuration files
and publishing a description of a better technique could have
a significant impact.

I guess most people start off with code without config files,
then add some hacks to support a second platform, then
make a config file to encapsulate all the hacks when
they need to go to debugging versions and a third platform.

I will note that I have used a tool called 'Makeit' which
has 'modules' for each kind of thing that needs to
be configured (so the 'make' file just consists of selecting
which modules to build for). It also names target directories
for libraries/executables uniquely, according to the
selected options (essential particularly so that an NFS
file system shared between different operating systems/versions/
processors can be used to build multiple versions of things).

It is very hard to build a modular configuration system
without a lot of foresight and a lot of platforms to
play with. Build design is usually far from
the mind of the programmer when coding an application.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net