From: joel de guzman (isis-tech_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-29 18:21:55

From: "Csaba Szepesvari" :

> Hi,
>
> A disturbing question: will Spirit ever compile under VC++ (6.0 SP4)?
> How intensively does it use partial template specialization and alike?
>
> - Csaba

Hi,

Sorry if this disturbs some of you. But in fairness to
Bruce Florman (who did the port), let me explain what
has transpired. Over the past few days, after I posted
Spirit over the web, I got a substantial amount of email
requesting for a port to MSVC, among other compilers
and platforms. My usual response was: "I'm sorry but
I don't think that is possible. Spirit rely heavilly on template
partial specialization that is not yet available in MSVC".
Then one day, Bruce sent in his port along with a log
of how he did the port. I think he did a wonderful piece
of engineering. There were compromises, yes, engineering
involves a lot of compromises, but useful, nevertheless.

I am not a fan of MS, nor is Bruce. It's just so happens
that he works in a company that is "inexorably tied to the
Microsoft compiler" and a library such as Spirit would be
quite useful.

So please accept my apologies.

Thank you, all,
Joel de Guzman