From: Corwin Joy (cjoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-01 21:06:47

Michael Gradman and myself have put together a library which abstracts
database operations into an STL type interface. The design that we have put
together is a collection of input and output iterators to represent common
operations such as SELECT (input), UPDATE, INSERT, DELTE (output) as well as
containers which can be used to abstract entire tables. We've had a number
of our users suggest that we consider submitting this library to boost, and
I believe it to be the case that what we have done would be 'boost-able' in
that it is not too far away from the boost library requirements (licence,
portability, design, etc.). However, we have been hesitant to submit this
library as we felt it could be "off-topic" for the kinds of libraries that
are mainly considered in this group. So, I guess the question is, would
there be significant interest in our trying to "boost" this library and
submit it to the review process? Below is an abstract and a link; thank you
in advance for any comments.

Corwin Joy and Michael Gradman

http://www.geocities.com/corwinjoy/dtl/index.htm
Manifesto:
The goal of this library is to make ODBC recordsets look just like an STL
container. As a user, you can move through our containers using standard STL
iterators; and if you insert(), erase() or replace() records in our
containers changes can be automatically committed to the database for you.
The library's compliance with the STL iterator and container standards means
you can plug our abstractions into a wide variety of STL algorithms for data
storage, searching and manipulation. In addition, the C++ reflection
mechanism used by our library to bind to database tables allows us to add
generic indexing and lookup properties to our containers with no special
code required from the end-user. Because our code takes full advantage of
the template mechanism, our library adds minimal overhead compared with
using raw ODBC calls to access a database.