From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-02 08:23:08

At 10:06 PM 6/1/2001, Corwin Joy wrote:

>... So, I guess the question is, would
>there be significant interest in our trying to "boost" this library...

There is certainly going to be a lot of interest.

Questions:

* Can it serve as an interface to multiple database backends?

* Is there a portable, freely available database backend?

* What are the restrictions on the value types which can be put in
containers? Certain specified types only? POD's? Pointers?

* What is the abstraction cost? For example, since the STL container
interface doesn't distinguish read access from write access, are you forced
to re-write every element touched by an iterator, resulting in a huge
penalty compared to a native database implementation?

* How are issues of multi-user update locking handled?

* How are commit/rollback issues handled where multiple database
interactions have to be viewed as a whole to complete a transaction?

* In general, what are the limitations?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is the extent to which your library
is robust enough to be used in production applications with all the
attending messiness.

Thanks,

--Beman