From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-04 13:40:40

----- Original Message -----
From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>
> I got a little further. It appears that jam0.exe is case sensitive
> when looking up the environment variable. I had set 'msvcnt' and it
> expected 'MSVCNT'. This change appears to make jam0.exe operate as
> jam.exe would with the sole purpose of building jam.exe? However, it
> appears to not like long file names. The very first command it
> attempts to execute reads as follows:
>
> "Compiler is Microsoft Visual C++
> ...found 131 target(s)...
> ...updating 29 target(s)...
> Cc bin.ntx86\command.obj
> command.c
> jam.h(73) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'fcntl.h':
> Invalid argu
> ment
>
> cl /nologo /c /DNT /Fobin.ntx86
> \command.obj /I"c:\program\include /Ifiles
> \microsoft\include /Ivisual\include /Istudio\vc98"\include command.c"
>
> Every space in the path has been interpreted as a seperate directory
> in it's own /I option.
>
> Again, if Boost is going to use Jam, it had better be easier to use
> than this!

Okay, agreed. And thanks for being an early adopter. It's because of you
that we'll get the kinks worked out.

> What I've read makes Jam look like the perfect answer,

It's hardly that, but I do think it's workable.

> but this is getting to be a pain.

Yah.

Here is a workaround I found after some web searching:

http://frankenrouter.perforce.com/lists/jamming/msg00474.html

quick summary:

  SUBST Y: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio"
  SET MSVCNT=Y:\VC98

Sorry,
Dave