From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-05 09:16:59

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:

> [...]
TOOLSET_DIR=c:\boost\build_system_2001_6_3
> > C:\boost\threads\src>set
BOOST_BASE_DIR=c:\boost\build_system_2001_6_3
> > C:\boost\threads\src>jam -fc:\boost\build_system_2001_6_3
> > \allyourbase.jam
> >
> > This results in the following output:
> >
> > Jamrules: No such file or directory
>
> You always need a Jamrules file in your project's root directory,
if you
> want to suppress this.

Then the documentation needs to explain this. I don't understand
what Jamrules is even for. The Jamrules file in the example is just
an empty file.

> > .\features.jam: No such file or directory
>
> Yeah, sorry: features.jam needs to be in the top level directory. I
am
> tempted to group this with TOOLSET_DIR, but in that case we need a
different
> variable name. Opinions?

BOOST_BUILDSYS_DIR? Or should you have a third variable
BOOST_FEATURES_DIR? BTW, shouldn't TOOLSET_DIR be BOOST_TOOLSET_DIR?

On this topic, are the "features" going to be a global concept or
something that should be defined for each project? It makes more
sense for them to be global (it makes life easier for the developer,
any way), but the current features.jam file includes some settings
that don't make sense globally. I'd think <threading> would default
to single. I don't see why <inlining> is turned off for <msvc> in
commented as examples, but if they're examples only I'd comment out
the whole line so that features.jam is usable.

Bill Kempf