From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-05 16:42:21

At 11:24 AM 6/5/2001, Daryle Walker wrote:

>The documentation has a page listing each of the libraries, and we can
look
>in each one to see what headers go with a library. Sometimes, I need to
go
>the other way; I need to know where the documentation is for a header at
>which I'm looking. The answer isn't always obvious from the header's
name;
>and we shouldn't have to be guessing anyway, even for "obvious" names.
>Could we add a documentation page that lists each (public) header file
and
>gives where the header's documentation is?

We could do that, but it might be easier just to explicitly give the doc
URL in a comment in the header. We currently encourage something like:

// See http://www.boost.org for updates, documentation, and revision
history.

We could add:
// For this header, see http://www.boost.org/libs/somelib/hdr.html

The trouble would come if we reorganize libraries. That would leave a lot
of bad URL's out there.

>On a separate note, maybe that page could list the mandatory source
files.

The build system will require a file (Jamfile?) listing each source
file. So just by looking at the Jamfile, you will always be able to tell
what source files are required.

--Beman