From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-07 20:29:31

At 05:58 PM 6/7/2001, Jeremy Siek wrote:

>Here's another variation that I had considered previously, and am now
>considering again. The only problem with this one is that if the user
>forgets the "::type" then the check doesn't do anything.

I've seen far too many maintenance programmers who just start madly trying
anything when they get a compile error. I can see them dropping "::type",
and then assuming all is well because the compiler becomes silent.

I tried for years never to use macros, but have given up for test and other
error detect needs like BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT. They allow you to wrap
messiness in ways not so subject to misuse.

I know that isn't politically correct, but it seems to be reality.

--Beman