From: joel de guzman (isis-tech_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-08 21:07:26

From: "Greg Colvin" :

> From: John Max Skaller <skaller_at_[hidden]>
> > Greg Colvin wrote:
> >
> > > Spirit should be able to handle any context-free
> > > grammer you care to throw at it
> >
> > Why? Most parser tools impose some restrictions
> > on the grammars they accept. Why should you expect Spirit
> > to be any different?
>
> Because it can be?
>
> It depends of course on how you make the tradeoff
> between speed and power. For a tool like Spirit
> I'd rather have power.

Both points well taken. It's a balance between flexibility and
speed.

I was just looking into: http://www.combo.org/accent/

"Unlike other compiler compilers, Accent does not impose any
restrictions on grammars. You don't have to adapt your grammar
to the limitations of a particular parsing technique."

Perhaps I'll pick up a few tidbits here and there.
What do you think?

Joel de Guzman