From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-12 13:51:41

At 12:39 PM 6/12/2001, Darin Adler wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2001, at 09:36 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> The point of this posting is to get both general and specific
feedback.
>> Is
>> a string algorithms library a good idea? Is anyone is interested in
>> working on such a library?
>
>I am interested.
>
>I have a tiny library that's a bit like this already, which I call
>"Stringiness". I've been adding functions to it as needed.

My guess is that others also have interesting functions they might
contribute. But before that we need to be sure we know how regular
expressions are going to be overloaded (or whatever) so that they
interoperate smoothly with strings. I'll be interested in hearing John
Maddock's views on that. Ditto case insensitive issues.

> The most-used
>function is my version of your "replace_all" function, which I call

Actually, "replace" is from Jens Maurer's regression.cpp code. I extended
it to "replace_all". I'm finding both very useful.

>"Substitute". Besides the const char * overloads, it is also overloaded
>work on single characters, since those common cases can be significantly
>more efficient.

Yes.

--Beman