From: Vesselin Iliev Peev (VesselinPeev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-13 20:58:40

Dear Sirs,

I've just tried to compile the boost_python library under Borland BCB 5
(Update Pack #1) and got the following error (one of many similar):

[C++ Error] classes.cpp(178): E2316 '__strcmp__' is not a member of 'std'

It seems a coincidence that last message at the time on the mailing list
stated the following:

>Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve discovered a bug which will affect a wide class of
>conforming compilers.

Is this related? I do need to map my C++ framework to Python *as soon as
possible* and it does use a good deal of C++ so any help would be most
appreciated.
As I see things, these are serious problems.
But if there appears to be a quick or nearly quick fix to the source code,
perhaps you could instruct me how to do it (I'd be happy to supply more
information about the errors). Of course you know that all this means that the
source fails to compile on the free Borland compiler (5.5x), too.
The problem is that I do not have VC 6 at the moment, and even if I had it,
I would still need to use Borland's.

Can you give me a solution/piece of advice? Something that just crossed my
mind is using the MinGW compiler for Win32 since it should be compliant with
the Linux GCC you tested, wrap everything in a DLL with Python embedded, then
load it in Borland.
Would this work i.e what I ask is can I use MinGW to do it and if I can't
could you point me to a free compiler because I can't have VC 6 immediately.

Of course a fix to the Boost Python code would ease my life a lot.

And one last question -- if the code can't be fixed for now, will there be a
fixed version (for Borland, since it's a popular good compiler) in the near
future i.e. 10 days for example?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.