From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-22 18:40:27

At 06:40 PM 6/22/2001, Greg Colvin wrote:

>The safe rule is not to use leading underscores, although I
>think those above are technically OK, if useless.

Why? Lots of programmers (me included) use a single leading underscore in
private member names. It never causes any problems, and is completely
standard conforming.

That choice was based in an experiment some years ago trying several
candidates (including none, trailing underscore, and some others I can't
remember.) Leading underscore won.

--Beman